I had tried this biryani sometime back and was waiting to share the recipe in the space . This summer holidays has really made me one lazy bug and this endless cold puts me off . Coming back to the recipe Chana or chole biryani is an aromatic biryani blended with spices . I adapted this recipe from Zee Kannada cookery show ‘Oggarane Dabbi ‘ which was telecasted long back . The measurement mentioned below is compiled by me since it does not specify the accurate measures . I have tried several recipes of chana biryani which I will share in the coming days . For the biryani rice I always follow my own recipe which I prepare using electric cooker method .
Ingredients for the rice:
Basmathi rice – 1 cup (I used India Gate )
Cardamom – 3
Cinnamon – 1″
Ghee -3 tbsp approx
Salt – to taste
Saffron – few strands diluted in 1 tbsp milk
Water – 2 cups
Ingredients for the curry :
Cooked chickpeas – 1 cup
Aniseed – few
Bay leaf – 1
Cardamom – 3
Cinnamon – 1 ”
Cloves – 2
Onions – 3
Green chilly – 5
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Chilly powder – 1tsp
Garam masala powder -1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Tomato puree – 3 tomatoes ,puree it
Coriander leaves – handful, chopped
Mint leaves – handful,chopped
Fried onion – handful
Cashewnuts and raisins – handful , roasted in ghee
Kewra essence – few drops ( optional)
Method for the rice:
- Wash the rice well .
- Take an electric rice cooker, grease the base with a tbsp of ghee .
- Add all the ingredients mentioned under the list .
- Cook the rice until done .
- You may also pressure cooker all the ingredients for 1 whistle .
- Or you may cook it in the pan until 3/4th cooked and drain the water .
Method for the chole :
- Heat remaining ghee in a pan , add whole spices .
- Add onions and saute it until translucent .
- Add all the powders one by one and saute it .
- Add tomato puree and saute until raw smell disappears .
- Add cooked chickpea , green chillies and coconut milk .
- Add salt to taste and take a boil .
- Cook it until it turns dry .
How to proceed :
- Take a borosil bowl , layer the curry and rice alternately .
- Add fried onions , chopped mint and coriander leaves in between .
- Spread the roasted dry fruits and fried onions .
- Sprinkle kewra essence .
- Cover it with cling film and microwave for 5 minutes .
- You may also mix together rice and chole .
- Serve it hot with raita .