Ponsa idli or jackfruit idli is a sweet idli prepared often during summer and monsoon during the jackfruit season . Though it contains loads of calories , Amma says all seasonal fruits and vegetables must be consumed atleast in small quantities as it has its own benefits . Amma prepares the jackfruit conserve with jaggery and stores it throughout the year so that one can enjoy its delicacies whenever we wish . I had shot the picture last year but somehow could not make it to share it in the space . There are many delectable delicacies prepared with jackfruit . We can prepare this idli in turmeric leaves or plantain leaves as it infuses its aroma and it is called as ‘Ponsa muddo’ . My granny used to prepare this in red champa ( red frangipani ) tree leaves . For Ponsa gharai refer ‘ here ‘ and for ponsa mulik refer ‘ here ‘.
Recipe adapted from : Amma
Ripe jackfruit /Ponusu – 2 cups
Grated coconut – handful
Salt – a pinch
Jaggery – 1 1/2 cups or to taste
Idli rawa – 1/2 cup approx
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Blend jackfruit , coconut and jaggery together to a paste .
- Wash idli rawa and squeeze the water completely .
- Take a bowl , add jackfruit paste, idli rawa ,salt and cardamom powder ..
- Adjust the jaggery according to the sweetness of the jackfruit .
- Make a thick batter .
- Grease idli cups and add a ladle of batter .
- Alternatively you may add the batter in turmeric or plantain leaves .
- Steam it in a steamer for 20 minutes .
- Serve it hot with ghee or home made butter .
Glimpse of jackfruit at our place :