This is the first post of July month . I just now realized that I have many posts to share and there are countless pictures lying in the folders . Some of the interesting posts that I will be sharing soon are shevai or string hoppers , ponsa idli or jackfruit idli ,bread cheese discs etc .Coming back to ‘ Tingalavare kolombo’ it is a traditional G.S.B curry which is prepared in most of the Konkani household . I seldom prepare it since my folks are not so very fond of pulses . Amma makes it a point to share the dish with me since I am the only one who likes it at our place . Kolombo is nothing but Sambhar and ‘tingalavaro’ means navy beans or you may check it here . This sambhar compliments well with rice , idli , Khotto and shevai .
Recipe adapted from : Amma
Tingalavaro / Navy beans – 1 cup
Potato – 1 chopped into small cubes
Onion – 1 chopped medium
Tomato – 1 chopped medium
Sambhar powder – 2 tsp
Jaggery – pinch ( optional )
Coriander leaves – 1 sprig ,chopped ( optional )
To season :
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Oil or ghee – 1 – 2 tsp
- Wash ,add 2 1/2 cups approx water and cook tingalvaro until cooked in a pressure cooker along with chopped potatoes .
- You may take 2 whistles and simmer it for 20 minutes and then check if it is cooked .
- Once cooked , add salt to taste and take a boil .
- Cook chopped onions and tomatoes separately for few minutes .
- Add sambhar powder , cooked onion and tomato to the tingalavaro .
- You may also add tamarind pulp instead of chopped tomatoes .
- Add a pinch of jaggery .
- Take a boil .
- Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves .
- Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Serve it hot with rice .