Bajjile pohu or ‘poha mixture’ is a personal favourite of my better half and I keep preparing it frequently with slight variations . Poha means beaten rice . Recently Santoshi discovered new variety of poha in Nilgiris named ‘Dahi Poha’ . It came out very good , tastewise and in crispiness . I made 2 batches of this mixture which got finished in a jiffy . But second time I went in search of this special poha to Niligiris it was out of stock . But one may not fear as we may prepare it with nylon poha too . Speciality of this mixture is oil is used in minimum quantity as compared to other mixtures . Stay tuned for more interesting recipes ! Until then Happy Diwali dear readers !
Recipe courtesy : Santoshi Nayak
Nylon poha or dahi poha – 200 g or as much as needed
Oil – 2 tbsp
Green chilly / red chillies-3 ,sliced and cut diagonally
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4 sprigs
Cashewnuts – handful
Almonds – handful , chopped
Groundnuts – handful
Roasted gram /putani /hurikadle dali – handful
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Sugar powder – 1/4 cup approx or to taste
Sev /shevo- 2 cups (optional)
Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan .
- Add fennel seeds , green chillies , cashewnuts , fried gram , groundnuts and almonds .
- Roast it until light brown in colour .
- Add curry leaves , raisins and fry for sometime .
- Lower the flame add turmeric powder and hing .
- Add poha and keep roasting until it turns crisp .
- Switch off the flame and take the kadai off the flame .
- Add salt to taste and powdered sugar .
- Add sev and mix it well .
- You may also add masala groundnuts .
- Mix it well .
- You may add either green chilly or red chilly bits or both .
- You may add masala groundnuts .
- We like sweetish and spicy taste , so we add more sugar .
- I do not measure powdered sugar , I keep checking the taste and balance it accordingly .