Today is the fifth and last day of diwali where bhai dooj is celebrated on this day.I prepared shakarpara on this day to make it special . Shakarpara is nothing but sweet diamond cuts or sweet tukdi. Though we do not celebrate bhai dooj here in Mangalore , it is celebrated in a grand scale in Maharashtra and few other states . It is also called as bhau beej ,bhai tika ,bhai phota in different states.The celebration is just like raksha bandhan where sisters pray for their brothers well being by performing tika ceremony where 7 colors are applied on the forehead. I first heard about this festival through my mother in law after my marriage since they live in Mumbai . Coming back to the recipe I noted this recipe in a food group in f.b , recipe by janaki Priya . The result was perfect . Happy Bhai Dooj dear readers !
Maida – 2 1/2 cups approx
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Bombay rava – 2 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Salt – a pinch
Oil – to deep fry
- Heat ghee in a pan and melt it .
- Add sugar , water , take a boil and melt sugar .
- Switch off the flame and cool the mixture until warm .
- Add a pinch of salt and maida little at a time .
- Make a flexible dough until it doesn’t stick the bowl .
- Make a big ball and roll it into chapathi .
- Cut it into strips like diamonds with the tukdi impression .
- Heat oil and deep fry until light golden in colour and crisp .
- Keep a watch while frying the tukdi .
- Cool and store it in an airtight container .