I had come across this dish many a times in the cooking shows and had also tasted this long back. Recently my friend Shree posted this dish in our school group and it looked so drooling I had to give it a try . She was generous enough to share the recipe with us and I gave it a try to the earliest . I made it twice back to back on popular demand. Her recipe was very easy too. Banoffee pie is an English dessert where the core ingredients are banana,cream,toffee or dulce de leche which is made from the condensed milk. But in this recipe we are using caramel sauce as a substitute to dulce de leche which is equally tasty .
For caramel syrup recipe : refer here
Recipe courtesy : Shreevardhini Shrikanth
Ingredients for the crust:
Good day biscuits – 2 packets
Marie biscuit -1 packet
Milk or butter- few tbsps*
Ingredients for the caramel sauce/toffee :
Sugar /brown sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – less than 1/4 cup
Fresh cream – 200 ml
Other ingredients :
Banana – 3-4(I used green cavandish )
Whipped cream – 200 ml
Method for the crust:
- Take a 9 inch loose based pie tin .
- Powder both brand of biscuits together.
- Add few tbsp of milk or butter to the powdered biscuit and check if it holds the shape.
- Press this mixture on the base and sides of pie tin .
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 7 -8 minutes.
- Or you may refrigerate to set.
Method for the caramel sauce /toffee :
- For the caramel sauce, mix sugar and water together.
- Caramelize the sugar until the colour changes dark brown and until you get a good aroma.
- Once done , lower the flame and add fresh cream.
- Take a boil and cook it for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
How to assemble:
- Take the pie tin with the baked crust.
- Cut the banana into roundels.
- Arrange it in circular motion until it fills the tin.
- Pour the toffee over the banana until it covers completely.
- Pipe or spread whipped cream all over the toffee.
- Drizzle it with cocoa powder with a strainer.
- Refrigerate it for few hours .
- Serve it chilled.
My notes :
- If using butter to the crust melt the butter and add.
- Use 100gms of butter.
- Setting the pie for a day enhances the taste more .
- You may also drizzle caramel syrup for extra taste.
- You may also add 2 layers of banana roundels.