Yesterday I shared the recipe of badam burfi which was a sweet and today thought of sharing a namkeen recipe. I tried Thattai for the first time and it was successful . I was very nervous to prepare it but gradually I loved making the procedures. It is very easy if we follow the proper proportion or texture for some recipes. G.S.B ‘ s prepare a namkeen called ‘Nippat’ and ‘Thattai’ is somewhat similar to it . I have not tried nippat yet but it is in my ‘ to do’ big baggage. This recipe I halved the recipe from the original one. Happy Diwali dear readers !
Recipe credit : Nandini Kini
Rice flour – 2 cups
Roasted urad dal powder – 1/2 cup *
Chilly powder – 1tsp
Asafoetida powder – pinch
Curry leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
Butter – 2 tbsp
Roasted gram / huri kadle/ puttani – 1/4 cup ,slightly crushed
Peanuts – 1/3 cup , slightly crushed
Salt – to taste
Coconut oil – as much needed to deep fry thattai
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add water and make a soft dough.
- Water may be 1 1/3 cup approx .
- Take a butter paper and keep it ready .
- Heat coconut oil or any oil .
- Take lemon sized balls if you want a bigger thattai.
- I made gooseberry sized balls since I wanted smaller thattai.
- Keep the remaining dough/ balls covered while you make thattai.
- Grease your hands , take 1 ball and place it on the butter paper .
- Press the ball with your palm .
- Next pat it with your fingers carefully.
- Pat it into thin discs.
- You may also prick it with a fork to avoid puffing.
- Make few discs\ thattai.
- I made 6 small discs.
- Then fry it in hot oil adjusting the flame.
- Be careful while dropping the discs in oil as there are chances to break.
- Wait for few seconds and then turn the discs in oil.
- Fry until it turns light brown and crisp.
- Cool and store it in an airtight container.
- Take urad dal and roast it until you get a nice aroma.
- Cool and powder it.
- You may also use a thick plastic sheet to make thattai’s .