Kadgi is raw jackfruit and phodi means fritters and together it is called as Jackfruit Fritters. This is a traditional G.S.B dish and is prepared in every Konkani/ Amchi household. I’m really surprised how I missed posting this recipe. This is prepared with raw jackfruit . I like to make the fritters when the jackfruit has developed tender seeds as it tastes very good . This fritter can be prepared in two ways. I am posting both the methods. One method is grinding method and another method is shortcut .I usually follow shortcut instant method.
Raw jackfruit – 10 slices
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Red chillies(dry) – 4 short and 4 long
Coriander seeds – 1tsp
Asafoetida – 2 pinches
Tamarind – a pinch
Salt – to taste
- Soak the rice in water for an hour.
- Drain the water and grind it with chillies,tamarind,coriander seeds and hing.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Do not apply all the masala to the jackfruit.
- Apply salt to taste to jackfruit slices and masala only as much as needed.
- Heat oil and deep fry the jackfruit until it gets cooked.
Jackfruit slices – 10
Chilly powder – 3 tsp
Hing – 2 pinches
Besan/ chana powder – 2 tbsp
Cornflour – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Rice flour – 1/4 cup approx to dip
Coconut oil – to deep fry
- Apply salt, chilly powder, hing,cornflour and besan to jackfruit slices.
- Dip the marinated slices in the rice flour coating both the sides.
- Deep fry until it gets cooked well.
- You may also steam the jackfruit slices for 10 minutes.
- Then apply the masala and deep fry.
- The marinated picture of the jackfruit below here is ground method.
- I marinate the masala with the eye ball measurement.