Varai Idli is prepared in most of the G.S.B household during festivities especially during Ganesh Chaturthi or any other religious days. I first tasted this Idli as kid in my Mamama’s house. Now my aunt has inherited her style of cooking and has preserved some of her traditional recipe’s . I borrowed this recipe from my aunt which is my Mamama’s recipe. Back then the batter was ground manually in the grinder. It was such a joy to watch it. At times even we would try our hands with so much of thrill. Oh how I miss those days. This idli is such a filling to the tummy that one wont get hungry for a long duration.
Recipe credit : Laxmi Padiyar
Urad dal/ split black gram – 1 cup
Varai / Barnyard Millet – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
- Soak Urad dal separately for 3 -4 hours.
- Grind it until fluffy in an electric grinder.
- Wash the Varai and grind it just 2 to 3 rounds just until it gets slightly smashed like suji consistency.
- If you are using Mixer just pulse it 2 times.
- Don’t over grind .
- Ferment it .
- Next morning add salt to taste and beat it well.
- Fill the batter in the greased moulds.
- Steam it for 20- 25 minutes.
- Serve it hot with chutney.