Ganesh Chathurti is nearing and when the festival nears all it reminds me is ‘Modak‘ and ‘Chakli‘. Today I found a picture of Kesari Modak in one of the folder which I had prepared last year. I searched in my archives to check if I had already shared in the space but to my dismay didn’t find it. So without delaying further thought of sharing it as soon as possible.For the filling I made kesar flavoured Sheera, the recipe which I have already shared in the space. For the outer covering too I followed the same recipe which I have shared in the space long back. I used the modak moulds to give the shape . Advanced Ganesh Chaturti to all those who are celebrating!! May lord bless all of us.
Ingredients for the outer covering:
Idiyappam flour or rice flour-1 cup
Salt-1/4 tsp or to taste
Extra oil- 2-3 tsp to grease your palms
Turmeric leaves-2-3 (optional)
Method for the outer covering:
- Boil water along with salt and oil.
- Once it starts boiling add flour little by little and keep stirring until it is combined into a dough ,becomes dry and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer it into a wide bowl,press it with a wooden spatula and when it is still warm,apply oil to your palms and knead it well.
- Close the dough with a wet cloth until you use it.
- Add more flour if the dough has become thin or vice versa.
Ingredients for the Sheera :
Bombay rava – 1/2 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cups
Sugar – 3/4 – 1 cup
Ghee – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch (optional)
kesar soaked in milk – a pinch
- Take a thick kadai add ghee and roast rava until you get a good aroma .
- Add boiled water little by little and keep mixing .
- See that there are no lumps .
- Cook it on slow flame for few minutes .
- Add sugar and mix it well .
- Add kesar / colour , cardamom powder at this stage .
- Cook until the mixture thickens on low flame .
- It will take few minutes .
- Keep it ready
- Make lemon sized smooth balls from the dough.
- Keep it on your left palm.
- Press it with your right palm and flatten it slightly.
- If you notice the sides are broken and are not smooth,knead the ball again and repeat the step.
- With the help of your fingers shape it like pockets or a cup.
- You should use both your hands to make the depression.
- Now fill a tsp or 2 of Sheera in the centre of the pocket.
- Bring all the ends together carefully,sealing the top carefully and shape it like modaks.
- It will resemble like white Kisses chocolates or flower pots.
- You may also shape it like dimsums with the pleats.
- Keep the steamer to boil,meanwhile finish with all the modaks.
- Once the steamer is ready line it with turmeric leaves(optional) and arrange the modaks over it.
- Steam it for 15 minutes.
- You may also use the mould to prepare the modak.