This dish is usually prepared during Monsoon time as the leaves are easily available . Earlier the leaves would grow in the garden . But now it has become extinct since the garden is cleaned on regular basis for various purposes… Thayikile/thaikilo / Casia tora leaves are naturally grown during Monsoon season and has many health benefits. It can also be seen in the roadside. G.S.B Konkani’s make the best use of it by preparing several dishes. More the coconut is added to this recipe texture becomes soft. I prepared it with eye ball measurement . You may also prepare this dish with fenugreek leaves.
Recipe courtesy : Santoshi Nayak
Tora leaves / thaikile leaves – 3 cups approx(wash and chop)
White rice – 1 cup
Roasted red chillies – 12
Grated coconut – 2.5 cups (I added until 3/4 of the mixer jar)
Asafoetida – big pinch
Tamarind – marble sized
Salt – to taste
Plantain leaf – few (optional)
- Wash and soak rice for 1 hour.
- Grind grated coconut with red chillies and tamarind to a fine paste.
- Don’t add much water while grinding.
- Add rice and grind it coarsely.
- Add salt to taste,hing and chopped leaves.
- Make the batter.
- Take a piece of plantain leaf and spread some batter and close it.
- Repeat it.
- Alternately you may add the batter in a greased plate or idli mould.
- Steam it in a steamer for 20 minutes.
- Relish it with coconut oil.
The above picture is shaky. But still I shared for the procedure. Will edit in the coming days.