Bisi bele bath or BBB is a popular South Indian dish. I have already shared the traditional recipe in the space. This time I tried instant recipe . It came out equally good just like traditional recipe. BBB has been my favourite since childhood days but here at my place they don’t prefer it much . As usual I made this and shared it with my dear ones. I followed my friend Sandhya Kamath’s recipe and combined few tips which I had read in various recipes and from Santoshi Nayak. Thank you sandy for the recipe. For traditional recipe click here .
Recipe credit : Sandhya Kamath
Rice – 1 cup
Tur dal – 1 cup
Vegetables – 2 cups( I used carrot,beans,beetroot, cauliflower,potato)
Onions – 2-3, cubed( you may add few sambhar onions too)
Tomato – 3, chopped
Boiled groundnuts – handful
Jaggery – marble sized
Tamarind pulp – marble sized soaked in water
Bisi bele bath powder – 2 to 3 tbsp approx (I used M.T.R)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Red chilly – 4
Hing – a small pinch
Cashewnuts – handful
- Wash tur dal and pressure cook until done .
- Cook rice with vegetables, 4 cups water and salt for 3 whistles.
- I microwaved the cauliflower for 3 minutes separately.
- Saute onions in oil until translucent.
- Mix cooked tur dal, cooked rice and vegetables,roasted onions, BBB powder, jaggery and tamarind pulp.*
- Add tomatoes and boiled groundnuts.
- I added the BBB powder in eye ball measurement.
- Adjust according to the taste and colour.
- Adjust water and salt to taste.
- Keep the consistency semi thick.
- Don’t make it too thick and dry.
- Heat ghee , splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves ,red chillies and hing.
- Season it to BBB.
- Roast some cashews separately and add.
- Serve it hot with potato chips or boondi with a blob of ghee.
- I roasted the BBB powder in little oil and added.
- Keep it on low flame and roast for few seconds only.
- Add microwaved cauliflower once the final boil comes.
- More the ghee is added to BBB the tastier it turns.