I tried a fancy sweet called ‘Kaju Watermelon’ for this Diwali. They looked very attractive and tasted good too. I followed the recipe in you tube video named as ‘Food Connection’ .This burfi is cashewnut based and tasted like kaju burfi. I used gel colours to colour the balls. Those who don’t prefer the colour may just coat it with some sprinkles,desiccated coconut or dry fruits .
The black til is added in the recipe to resemble the watermelon seeds. My cuts were not so neat nevertheless it looked colourful . If you add white til it will resemble guava. You may shape it as you like with your creativity. The dough was kind of Marzipan. Please start working when the dough is hot. Avoid working under fan( personal experience). As it starts to cool it wont hold shape. If that is the case add few drops of milk and work.
Recipe courtesy: Food Connection
Cashewnut powder – 1 cup
Milk powder – 1 cup
Condensed milk – 1 cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
Black sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
Green gel colour – as much as needed
Red gel colour – as much as needed
- Take a thick pan, add ghee, condensed milk, milk powder and cashewnut powder.
- Mix it well and on low flame keep on stirring.
- After few minutes it will start to leave the sides.
- Once it forms a dough and leaves the sides switch off the flame.
- Cool it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Roast til and keep it aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts with the help of a spatula.
- Grease your hands well.
- For 1 part colour with green gel colour.
- For the 2nd part colour with red gel colour.
- Add roasted black til in the red dough.
- Keep the 3rd part as it is (plain).
- Make smooth balls out of all the 3 parts.
- Make little bigger balls with the green part as it is the final covering.
- Make small balls with the red part.
- Take 1 plain ball, flatten it into small disc.
- Place red ball in the centre of the plain disc.
- Seal it well like a aloo paratha.
- Flatten green ball into disc with the hands.
- Place the above ball(plain and red ) in the centre and seal it well.
- Repeat the procedure for all the balls.
- Refrigerate it for few hours.
- Then cut it vertically into 2 .
- Cut further into 2 more pieces with each half.
- So total you will get 4 pieces from each ball.
- Refrigerate it for further use.