This is a traditional g.s.b curry which I’m going to share here today. Amma prepares the best Karathe ambade ghashi. Karathe means bittergourd and ambade means hog plums. I disliked this curry back then as I was a fussy eater .But now I eat everything . This is a mild bland gravy with mixture of all taste like sweet,sour and bitter.
Recipe credit : Amma
Bittergourd – 2
Alsando/long beans/ yard long beans – 10
Ridge gourd – 1
Hog plums – 6 (or 3 tomatoes)
Jaggery – 2 lemon sized or more
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut – 1.5 cups
Short red chilly -4-5
Tamarind – small piece
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Chop all the vegetables into chunks.
- In a pressure cooker , add vegetables, smashed hog plums,jaggery, water and salt.
- Take 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
- You may also cook the vegetables manually.
- Don’t over cook the vegetables.
- For the masala, roast the urad dal in oil until brown in colour .
- Keep it aside.
- Grind coconut, tamarind and chillies to a fine a masala adding water.
- Add roasted urad dal and grind it further.
- Mix the masala, cooked vegetables and masala water .
- Adjust the consistency.
- Check salt and jaggery.
- Take a boil.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves.