This is again a much delayed post . I have shot pictures of Valval almost every time I prepared it or Amma gave me.This is a traditional G.S.B curry,a kind of vegetable stew with mixed vegetables. Valval is also called as ‘Yogiratna’ but commonly called as ‘Valval’ .This recipe is prepared with eye ball measurement but I will share random measurement. This is my Amma’s recipe I’m sharing here in the space today. Recipe is almost the same but there may be some variations or tips in other recipe’s. My favourite ingredient in this curry is tender cashewnuts. We dry it under the sun and store it throughout the year until next season and utilize it as and when required. Valval is basically a coconut based curry. To know hot to extract coconut milk you may click here.
Ash gourd/ kuvale – 1 cup, cut into small cubes
Pumpkin/ duddhe – 1/2 cup, cut into small cubes
Long beans/ Alsando – 5, cut into medium size
Ridge gourd/ gosale- 1 cup, cut into slices
Tender cashewnut- 1 cup
Ivy gourd/ tendle – 5, cut into slices
Potato – 2, cut into slices
Sweet potato – 1/2 cup, cut into slices
Coconut milk – 2 cups(thick) approx (400ml)
Thin coconut milk – 1.5 cup approx
Salt – to taste
Rice flour or Maida or Cornflour – 2 tbsp ,make a paste with water.
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Asafoetida/hing – 2 pinches
Green chilly -5, slit (approx)
- Take a pressure cooker , add Ash gourd, potato, ivy gourd,cashewnuts and long beans.
- Add thin coconut milk,salt to taste and take just one whistle.
- Add thin coconut milk just until it soaks.
- If the vegetables does not cook , cook until done.
- You may cook it manually too.
- Cook sweet potato slices and pumpkin separately as it cooks very fast.
- Cook it manually.
- Mix all the cooked vegetables and green chilly together.
- Add thick coconut milk,hing and take a boil.
- If the curry looks thin add the rice flour paste only if required to thicken.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Season it to the valval.
- You may season it with ghee also.