I first tasted Vaal in Mumbai at my inlaws place more than a decade back. I just loved my Mother in laws preparation. Recently they brought Vaal to Mangalore during their visit since we love it. So I made Maharastrian Vaal in South Indian preparation. Usually they make Usal or Amti .Vaal means Hyacinth beans or field beans. You may cook this manually but it takes long time.
Sprouted Vaal – 200g
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Sambhar powder – 2 tsp or more
Jaggery – pinch
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Take a pressure cooker, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add hing,curry leaves,sambhar powder and Vaal.
- Add tamarind pulp, salt to taste and jaggery.
- Add 1 cup of water and take just 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure releases open the lid.
- If it is liquidy ,switch on the flame and reduce it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.