This is an instant version of Idiyappam. You may buy any brand of store brought Idiyappam powder like ‘Nirapara’ or ‘Double Horse’ to prepare this and follow the instructions behind the packet. The first time I made it( few years back) , I didn’t have a fine holed sev impression and it looked a bit thick. Later I bought the press which had fine holed impression .Since then I have prepared this countless times and I prepare Vegetable stew as a combination as my daughter likes the combo. I had also thought of editing my old post with these pictures but then I thought of making a separate post . Stay tuned for Vegetable stew recipe .
Idiyappam powder – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cups ( follow the instructions behind the packet)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp approx
- Boil the water in a pan with salt and oil.
- Add the idiyappam powder and switch off the flame.
- Keep mixing it until it forms a dough.
- You may also keep it on slow flame for 2 -3 minutes until the mass comes as whole.
- Once done mix it with your hands until it turns smooth.
- Grease the idli plates .
- Make a cylindrical shape of the dough and place it into the chakli press(greased) or Idiyappam press using the thin sev impression,close the lid,press it directly on the idli depressions into swirls.
- Steam it for 12- 15 minutes.
- Serve it hot with vegetable stew.