Hello dear readers! Today I’m going to share one more summer / monsoon recipe. Jackfruit is abundant during summer in Mangalore. Most of the independent houses have a tree or there are friends or relatives who share the crop. We g.s.b’s reserve the jackfruit seeds/Bikand throughout the year and use it as required. One favourite dish is ‘Bikkand thallale’ which is nothing but Jackfruit seeds fritters. This makes a great party snack and are very addictive. Aayi would make this often especially during monsoon season.
Jackfruit seeds – 10
Chilly powder – 2 tsp approx
Asafoetida powder – 2 pinches
Besan – 1tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Rice flour – as much needed to coat, 2 tbsp approx
Salt- to taste
Oil – to deep fry
- Cut jackfruit seeds into two and remove the skin.
- Take a pressure cooker, add seeds with just enough water and salt to taste .
- Don’t add more water.
- Take 2 whistles, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame .
- Once the pressure releases, drain the jackfruit seeds.
- You may reserve the boiled stock and use it in the curries.
- Take it in a bowl, add chilly powder, hing, besan and haldi powder .
- Check for salt and add if required.
- Heat oil.
- Coat the jackfruit seeds in rice flour and deep fry until crisp.
- Serve it hot.