Hello dear readers! I have already shared the recipe of’ Bibbe upkari’ long back. Mangaloreans like to have it in various ways. We also prepare it adding Ivy gourds. Usually in most of the marriage functions and auspicious occasions it is prepared using Ivy gourds and potato as a combination. One reason because the quantity increases and tastewise also it is very good. Tender cashewnuts are very expensive but Mangaloreans don’t look back to store it. We call this upkari either as ‘Tendle bibbe upkari’ or ‘Bibbo tendle upkari’ .
Dried or fresh tender cashewnuts – 2 cups approx
Ivy gourds – 10
Potato – 2
Red chilly – 2 , broken
Green chillies – 2, slit
Hing – 1 pinch
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Coconut oil – 2tspl
Sugar – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Salt – to taste
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp approx
- Wash and slice the Ivy gourds into 4 pieces vertically .
- Cut the potatoes also in the same way like french fries.
- Soak the dried or fresh tender cashewnuts in hot water for few hours.
- Once soaked you can peel it easily.
- Separate it into two.
- Cook tendle and and potatoes together with salt to taste until just cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves, broken chillies and hing.
- Add the tender cashewnuts and green chillies.
- Add little water, salt to taste and sugar.
- Cover it with a lid and cook it until 3/4 th.
- Keep checking if water has subsided and add if required.
- Once 3/4 cooked add cooked tendle.
- Check for salt and add if required.
- Cook it further.
- Once done add grated coconut.
- Mix it well.
- You may also cook the entire thing in a pressure cooker if you like it mushy or over cooked .
- But at times cashewnuts don’t cook well.
- So we follow the above method.
- But you may follow any way to cook it.
- If the cashewnuts are very tender we can cook tendle ,potato and cashewnuts together.
- For pressure cooker method just season all the ingredients in the cooker.
- Add ivy gourd , tender cashewnuts,potatoes and other ingredients together.
- Add water and take a whistle.
- Once the pressure releases open the lid.
- If there is water reduce it and garnish it with grated coconut.