Hello dear readers! This should have been the next post after the banana chips post. Remember I had asked to reserve the banana skin after making the chips? Well, the reason was to prepare this upkari. Aayi would make banana chips often followed by this upkari. We also reserve the leftover raw banana pieces while making chips and use it in the upkari. Since it is difficult to slice the end parts we stop slicing and reserve it .
Raw Kerala banana skin/ Nendra banana – 6 banana skins
Left over raw banana or 1 raw banana
Red chilly – 3, broken
Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Jaggery – 3 tbsp approx
Salt – to taste
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Remove the outer greenish part of the skin slightly and chop it vertically.
- Chop the raw banana also.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, add red chillies and saute it for few seconds.
- Add chopped banana and skin, salt to taste and jaggery.
- Add water and close it with a lid.
- Cook it on a slow flame.
- Keep checking and stir the upkari in between.
- Check for salt and jaggery and adjust as needed.
- Once cooked open the lid, higher the flame if there is water and reduce it.
- Garnish it with grated coconut.