Ingredients for the dal:
Toovar dal(split Red gram dal)-3/4 cup
Water-4 1/2 cups
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-15-20 leaves
Tamarind-2 tbsp pulp
Coriander leaves-4 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Asafoetida-a big pinch
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Garlic- 6 cloves(optional)
Ingredients for the dhoklis:
Whole wheat flour-1 cup(recipe called for 1 1/2 cups)
Ajwain(Carom seeds)-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
Water-as much as needed(very little)
Salt- to taste
Method for the dal:
- Pick,was and soak the dal in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal till it becomes soft.
- When the pressure is released,open the lid and churn the dal well.
- Add turmeric powder,salt,curry leaves and remaining 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil,add jaggery and tamarind juice,keep it aside.
Method for the Dhoklis:
- Add all the ingredients of the Dhoklis in a bowl or a food processor bowl,pulse it for few seconds until it resembles like crumbs and knead the dough adding water little by little into a stiff dough.
- Make equal balls,roll it into a chapathi and cut it into squares approx 1″ * 1″and keep it aside.
Method of Dal dhokil:
- Grind ginger,garlic and green chillies to paste mentioned in the seasoning.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a small pan, splutter mustard seeds,add cumin seeds and hing.
- Add the paste and fry for a second,and add this seasoning to the dal.
- Now drop the dhokli pieces carefully in the dal,cook uncovered on a low flame for about 10 minutes,stirring 4-5 times very carefully,so that the dhokli pieces do not stick to the bottom of the pan and each piece of the dhokli is separate.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.