Hog plums-5-6 *see note
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the masala:
Coconut-1 1 /2 cups
Roasted short red chillies-5
Roasted long red chillies-3
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned in the list to a fine paste.
- Pinch the heads and tails from the anchovies and discard it.
- Wash the fish several times in water until you get clean water or you may also soak the fish for few minutes in water and then clean it.
- Wash the hog plums well,and smash it slightly with the help of a pounding stone.
- Now add salt to taste,hog plums, ground masala,garlic and water to the fish and adjust the consistency.
- Keep it on flame and take a boil,keep it in simmer for 7- 8 minutes and cook it well.
- Off the flame and add coconut oil as garnish,
- Relish it hot with boiled red rice.
You may add marble sized tamarind instead of hog plums.
Raw mangoes also can be added.
Be cautious while adding salt to the curry since dried fish has lot salt content.