Ashgourd-1/2 kg,chopped into medium sized chunks
Coconut- 1 cup,grated
Roasted short red chillies-2
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Jaggery- marble sized or to taste
Tamarind- half the marble size
Ingredients to season:
Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Cook Ash gourd until it is just cooked,don’t over cook it until mushy.
- Add salt to taste and jaggery to the cooked ashgourd and take a small boil.
- Grind grated coconut,roasted red chillies,tamarind coarsely.
- Lastly add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and pulse the mixer for 3-4 times.
- The masala should be coarse so don’t over grind.
- Add the masala to the cooked ashgourd,add water,adjust the consistency and take a boil.
- You may also add 1-2 slit green chillies to the curry while you take a boil.
- The curry should be thick,not thin and watery.
- Check salt and off the flame.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Season it to the curry and close the lid immediately to retain the flavour.
- Serve it hot with the main course.