Recipe adapted from : here
Ingredients for the marinade :
Chicken – 1 kg
Coriander leaves -1 bunch
Green chillies – 4-5
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the Kolhapuri masala:
Coriander seeds -2 tsp
Sesame seeds -2 tsp
Khus Khus -2 tsp
Kashmiri red chillies -7-8
Dry coconut -1/2 part of a coconut
Oil – 3 tbsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Chilly powder -1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- Clean the chicken well,grind the ingredients mentioned under the marinade to a fine paste.
- Marinate it to the the chicken for 20-25 minutes.
- Smoke the dry coconut and 1 onion directly on the flame until the outer cover turns black.
- Remember to invert the coconut and smoke it insides also.
- I used a papad roasting tawa.
- Cool it,scrape the charred skin,discard it and chop it roughly.
- Dry roast coriander seeds,sesame seeds,khus khus and chillies together for a minute.
- Cool it and grind it with roasted coconut/onion to a fine paste.
- Kolhapuri masala is ready.
- Heat oil in a kadai,saute onions until light brown in colour.
- Add the Kolhapuri masala and saute it until the it leaves oil from the sides.
- Add marinated chicken,chilly powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Add salt if required,little water and close it with a lid.
- Once the boil comes,keep it low flame until it gets cooked.
- Keep the gravy thick.
- Serve it hot.