Sarson da saag is best served with Makki di roti.Sarson means mustard leaves.This is a typical Punjabi dish.Makki di roti and sarson da saag is mostly prepared during winter.
Sarson (mustard leaves)-1kg
Turnips-2 peeled and chopped(optional)
Makki ka atta (maize flour)-2tbsp
Jaggery powder-1 ½ tsp
Green chillies-2 finely chopped
Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Wash and clean the mustard leaves.
- First remove the leaves and then peel the stems starting from the lower end and chop them finely.
- Peel stems the way you peel green beans
- The addition of the stem to the saag makes it tastier but it is importent to peel the stems from the lower ends.
- The upper tender portion may just be chopped.
- Chop the spinach leaves.
- Put chopped greens with ½ cup of water in pan.
- Chop garlic,ginger,green chilly very finely and add to the saag,add turnip if you wish.
- Add salt and put it on fire and let it start heating.
- The saag will start going down.
- Cover and let it cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from and cool.
- Grind to a rough paste,don’t grind too much.
- Add maize flour to the saag and cook for 15 minutes on heat.
- At serving time heat ghee,reduce heat,add ginger and green chillies.
- Cook till it changes color.
- Remove from fire and red chilly powder.
- Add ghee to the hot saag and mix lightly.
- Serve hot with fresh home made butter and makki di roti.
Tips:I used 450 gms of tinned sarson since fresh greens was not available.