Hello dear readers. I’m back after a short break . Today I’m going to share an interesting chicken recipe. Last week my sister told me that she tasted chicken spring onion cooked by my aunt Mrs Neeta Nayak and it tasted finger licking good. I was fortunate to taste it this week and ask her the recipe . Yes, she had cooked specially for us to taste and she was generous enough to share the recipe as usual. Do you’ll remember Chicken Ibrosi recipe which I had shared recently. She’s the same aunt of ours. She came across this recipe in a cooking show and she tried it. I tried this recipe with eye ball measurement and it came out excellent. I also added tomatoes and lime to balance the taste even though the recipe didn’t call for it. The spring onion which we get in Mangalore does not contain onion bulbs so I washed and used the tender shoots above the roots.
Recipe Credit : Mrs Neeta Nayak
Chicken – 1 kg
Onions – 5, finely chopped
Shahi jeera – 1 tsp
Spring onion stem- 1 cup, finely chopped
Spring onion bulb – 1/4 cup(make a paste)
Ginger garlic paste -1 tbsp
Tomatoes – 2 , finely chopped
Green chilly – 4, finely chopped
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Chicken masala powder – 3 tsp approx
Cashewnuts- handful, make a paste
Coriander leaves – handful, chopped
Oil – 2 tbsp approx
Ghee – 2 tbsp approx
Lime – 1
Salt – to taste
- Heat oil and ghee together.
- Add shahi jeera and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute until light red in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste and spring onion paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute further.
- Add chicken, turmeric powder, coriander powder, green chilly and chicken masala powder.
- Add salt to taste and add little water.
- Cook the chicken until done.
- Adjust the consistency by adding the water while cooking the chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked add cashew paste and spring onions.
- Cook it for 3- 4 minutes further.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Squeeze lime and mix it well.