Hello friends ! I’m back after a long hiatus. Today I will share a Mangalorean recipe , the famous ‘Kori Rotti/ ghasi/ masala’. This is the third recipe of Kori Rotti I’m sharing in the space. I had bookmarked this recipe sometime back and finally tried it recently. This is the family recipe of Sarita Bhat , originally her mother Sudha Kudua’s recipe . When it comes to Sarita I feel short of words to explain . In short I would term her as a true ‘Master chef ‘. The enthusiasm she shows in cooking is spectacular be it in baking , cake decorating and other cooking techniques she is prefect! She promptly replied all my queries regarding the recipe. I have also shared Sarita’s Andhra chilly recipe earlier in the space. Thank you Sarita for your plethora of recipes. Stay tuned for interesting recipes!!
Recipe credit : Sarita Bhat / Sudha Kudua
Ingredients to be dry roasted 1:
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1/2″
Khus khus – 2 tsp
Cashewnuts – handful
White til – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mace – 3 flakes
Star anise – 1
Pepper – 8 – 10 seeds
Marata Moggu – 2
Ingredients to be dry roasted 2 :
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
Ingredients to be roasted 3:
Kashmiri chillies – 2 handful
Ingredients to be dry roasted 4 :
Onion – 2 chopped
Garlic – 8 cloves
Ginger – 1/2″
Coriander leaves – a bunch
Ingredients for the curry :
Chicken – 1 kg
Onion – 2 , sliced
Chopped garlic – 2 tbsp
Ginger – 1 tbsp
Tomatoes – 3 , chopped
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp , chopped to garnish
Ingredients to season :
Onion – 1 -2 sliced
Ghee – 1 tsp
- Marinate chicken with curds and keep it aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned from list 1 to list 4 separately.
- Cool it well.
- Grind list 1, 2 and 3 together adding water to a fine paste.
- Once the masala turns to a fine paste add 4th roasted ingredients of onion mixture.
- Grind it further to a fine paste.
- Take a pressure cooker or pan and heat ghee.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger , saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and ground masala.
- Add water as much as needed, 2 cups approx.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles or cook until done.
- Heat ghee and saute onions until pinkish.
- Season it to the curry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with rotti.