Paneer tawa masala is cottage cheese in tomato based gravy with aromatic spices.This is a Punjabi delicacy.I adapted this recipe from Tarla dalal which I had bookmarked few days back.I made slight changes in the recipe as per my needs.This dish tasted very nice and I had prepared Paan polo as the accompaniment and we also had it with Aapam which my bhabi had parceled.You may have it with rotis too.
Paneer-1 cup,cut into half inch cubes
Tomato sauce-2 tsp
Garam masala powder-1 tsp
Chilly powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Chat masala-1 tsp
Kasuri methi-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Garlic paste-1 tbsp
Ghee-2 tbsp to fry masala
Ghee-1 tsp to fry paneer
Ajwain(bishops weed)-1/4 tsp
Shahi jeera(caraway seeds)-1 tsp
- Marinate paneer with kasuri methi,chilly powder,salt, turmeric powder and chat masala powder for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a tsp of ghee in a separate small pan and fry the marinated paneer for few minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan,season shahi jeera and ajwain and fry onion until pink in color,add green chilly and garlic mince and fry for few minutes.
- Add tomato puree,tomato sauce and fry until raw smell disappears and the ghee leaves the sides.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder and saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup water to the above paste and take a boil,add fried paneer pieces,cream and salt to taste.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.