This recipe of Beetroom rasam was passed to me by my twin sister Durga Nayak . I was so tempted to try the recipe when she shared me the picture that I tried it to the earliest . It tasted equally good . It was worth the try. Best part is I also liked the colour of the rasam. Beetroot is a healthy vegetable which contains loads of nutrients . You may prepare this rasam when you have loads of beetroot in stock.
Recipe courtesy : Durga Nayak
Beetroot – 2 , peel and chop roughly
Green chilly – 2
Jaggery – small piece
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Roasted chilly – 2
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Water – 3 cups approx
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Oil – 1tsp
Ingredients to be roasted :
Urad dal – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Steam or boil the beetroot until it gets cooked.
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned.
- Cool and grind it with coconut , red chilly and a piece of beetroot.
- Boil 3 cups of water along with turmeric powder , green chilly and jaggery.
- Add the masala and take a boil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add any beetroot stock if any.
- Cook it in simmer for few minutes.
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- You may also season with garlic.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with rice.
- You may ignore dry roasting and grinding part .
- Instead add 1 tbsp of rasam or sambhar powder and make the rasam.