Dabeli is a popular street food of Gujarat . I first tasted this snack at Amma’s place when Santoshi had prepared it some years back . Ever since that it has become a regular preparation at Amma’s place . Back then we used to get the Dabeli masala powder from Mumbai as it was not easily available in Mangalore . But lately it is available in Nilgiris super market. This dish was always in my to do list but since I would get to relish this chat everytime Santoshi prepared it I would postpone my plans of preparation . Finally I tried this goodness during this summer vacation with Santoshi’s instructions . Many a times I feel live demonstration or instructions makes a lot of difference and for that reason I try to post stepwise pictures and share some small tips whenever I post any recipe … I used store brought masala groundnuts and garlic dry chutney , but I have mentioned the link of the recipe in the post . Stay tuned for more interesting recipes !!!
Recipe adapted from : Tarla dalal
Pav – 8 approx
Butter – 2 tbsp approx
Boiled potatoes – 6
Cumin seeds – 1tsp
Onion – 2 , chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Sugar – 1/4 tsp
Dabeli masala – 2 tbsp or more
Hing / asafoetida – pinch
Lime juice – 1 /2 , juice
Spicy groundnuts – handful , (for recipe refer here )
Pomegranate – handful
Salt – to taste
Khajur imli ki chutney – as much needed , (for recipe refer here )
Garlic chutney – as much needed (for recipe refer here )
Sev – as much as needed
- Grate the boiled potatoes .
- Heat oil ,splutter cumin seeds , hing , dabeli masala and saute 1 onion for few seconds .
- Add grated potato ,tomato , water and salt to taste .
- Add little khajur imli ki chutney , sugar ,lime juice and mix it well .
- Cook until it turns dry .
- Transfer it in a round cake tin or a thali and press it evenly .
- Spread some chopped onion , garlic powder , masala groundnuts , pomegranate , coriander leaves and sev .
- You may also add grated coconut or tutti fruity .
How to proceed :
- Take a pav and slit it keeping the base intact .
- Apply little butter and toast it .
- Add garlic chutney on side of the bun .
- Apply khajur imli chutney on the other side .
- Add the potato mixture .
- Place few pomegranate seeds .
- Place few groundnuts , onion and sev .
- Sandwich it well pressing lightly .
- Toast it carefully with butter .
- Serve it hot .