Raw tender jack-2 cups,cut into medium pieces
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
For the masala:
Roasted short red chillies-4
Roasted long red chillies-2
Urad dal(split black gram dal)-1 tsp,roast in half tsp oil until brown in colour
- Take a pressure cooker and fill it with 2-3 cups of water,place the chopped jackfruit in a bowl with little water,salt to taste and place it in the cooker.
- Take a whistle or two and off the flame.
- Transfer it in a colander,drain water(use it in the curry later),cool,smash the cooked jack and keep it aside.
- Grind the masala to medium thick dry masala or coarse masala adding very little water.*
- Add the roasted black gram dal at the later stage of grinding,we add it once the masala is almost done and then grind it further for 5 minutes.
- Take a kadai,heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,add curry leaves,masala,cooked and smashed jack,little water if required and salt to taste.
- Saute for few minutes, simmer and keep it for 5-7 minutes.
- Kadgi chakko is ready,relish it with dhali thoy and rice.
- You may also add a pinch of jaggery to the masala while grinding.
- You may also add a tsp of coriander seeds while roasting urad dal and then add while grinding it.