Hello dear readers! Today I will share a recipe from our g.s.b cuisine. Breadfruit is commonly found during summer and monsoon and lot of delicacies are prepared with it. Amma prepares lot of traditional g.s.b dishes and I get to learn various recipe’s . “Koddel” is always seasoned with garlic . You may also prepare “Koddel” with other pulses like Navy beans, Rajma, Mangalore cucumber etc.
Black eyed bean / Alsande bee – 1 cup
Garlic – 8 – 10 , smashed with the skin
Coconut oil – 1tbsp approx
Bread fruit – 1 cup, cut into chunks
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut – 1.5cup
Roasted short red chillies – 4
Roasted byadgi chillies – 3
Tamarind – marble sized
- Cook the bean for 2 whistles and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked add salt to taste and take a boil.
- Keep it aside.
- Cook the breadfruit separately until cooked.
- Add salt to taste once cooked.
- Add it to the cooked bean.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned to a fine paste/ masala.
- Mix masala, masala water, cooked bean and breadfruit together.
- Add water and adjust the consistency.
- Keep it medium thin.
- Take a good boil and check the salt.
- Heat coconut oil in a seasoning pan and roast the smashed garlic until brown in colour.
- Season it to the dish and close the lid immediately.
- Serve it hot with rice.