This drink is often distributed in the temples during festive occasions.In Mangalore,it is distributed during car festival on “Okkolu”(Holi) day.The Paanak distribution on that day was started my Mamama’s Father,that is my maternal Great Grandfather and is still continued to this day….We also get the ready to use sypup in some of the shops here and is a very popular drink.This drink is a combination of sweet and spicy punch.At times Paanak is prepared very spicy and soothes the throat like a fire.This is very good for digestion and clears the system.
Jaggery-1/2 kg(I used powder)
Cardamom powder-1 tsp
- Take a thick pan and melt jaggery powder with 2 cups of water.
- Once it melts completely strain it to remove any impurities.
- Cool it completely.
- Powder dried ginger in a mortar and pestle.
- Powder peppercorns coarsely.
- Add the powders to the melted jaggery.
- At this stage you may also strain the mixture once.
- Add cardamom powder,lime juice and mix well.
- Add 3/4 litre water and dilute the syrup.
- Adjust the water accordingly.
- Chill it and serve with ice cubes.