Ash gourd-1/2 kg
Salt – to taste
Tamarind-double the marble size
Ingredients to season:
Ghee or oil-1 tsp(We use ghee)
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut-1 cup
Long red chilies-8-9,roasted in a tsp of oil
Coriander seeds-4 tsp
Bengal gram dal/chana dal-2 tsp
Split black gram dal/urad dal-2 tsp
Black sesame seeds-1 tsp
Rice- 1 tsp
Turmeric piece-small or 1/4 tsp powder
Asafoetida-small piece or 1/4 tsp powder
Oil- 2 tsp
- Peel,wash,discard seeds and cut the ashgourd into chunks.
- Add salt to taste and jaggery and cook the gourd until just done.
- Dont over cook.
- Keep it aside.
Method for the masala:
- Dry roast the grated coconut until reddish in colour and keep it to cool.
- Dry roast sesame seeds in low flame until it splutters and keep it aside.
- Dry roast rice for few seconds and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil and roast coriander seeds,chana dal and urad dal until light brown in colour.
- If you are using whole turmeric or hing piece(kada hing or paste), roast with the above ingredients together.
- If you are using hing powder and turmeric powder,off the flame and add it in the above fried ingredients and mix it since the powder burns quickly.
- Cool all the ingredients.
- You may powder this fried ingredients along with roasted chillies and tamarind coarsely or grind it coarsely adding water.
How to proceed:
- If there is more water in the cooked ash gourd reserve it in a separate vessel for later use.
- Mix the powder or masala to the cooked ash gourd,adjust the consistency with the reserved stock,check salt and jaggery and take a boil.
- Take a seasoning pan,heat ghee splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add it to the curry and close the lid immediately to preserve the flavour.
- At times the gravy becomes too dry after sometime,that time you may add the leftover stock if any.
- Serve it hot with the main course.