Bangaloreans also name sheera as Kesari bhath as it is flavoured with Kesar/Saffron.Both Khara Bhath and Kesar Bhath are flavoured with Ghee or clarified butter which gives an extra punch to the dish.Chow Chow Bhath is the best example for ‘Breakfast like a King’ where you may heartily enjoy your breakfast with a cup of filter coffee if you are a coffee lover like me.
Semolina-1 cup fine or coarse(Khandva suji or bombay suji or rawa)
Onion-1 big,chopped finely
Ginger-garlic paste-2 tsp
Coriander leaves-2 tbsp,chopped
Chilly powder or sambhar powder-1/2 tsp(I used Sambhar powder)
Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp(I did not use)
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Curry leaves-8-10 sprigs
Ghee- 1-2 tbsp to garnish
Salt- to taste
Water-4 cups(boiling water)1:4 ratio
Carrot-1,cut into small cubes
Green peas-1/2 cup,frozen or fresh,cooked
Ingredients for the seasoning:
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Urad dhal /Split black gram dal-1/2 tsp
Chana dhal /Bengal gram dal-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Dry roast the rawa until you get a nice aroma and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee and roast cashewnuts until light brown in colour and keep it aside.
- In the same pan and ghee,splutter mustard seeds,add all the seasonings mentioned,fry it until light brown in colour,add green chillies,curry leaves.
- Add onions and saute it for sometime.
- Add all the veggies and cook it until it fades little bit.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw smell disappears.
- Add all the spice powders and saute for a second.
- Now add 4 cups of boiling water and again take a boil.
- Add semolina,salt to taste,pinch of sugar and cook it stirring well.
- Close the lid and keep it for 2-3 minutes.
- Off the flame and garnish coriander leaves,roasted cashewnuts,grated coconut and lime juice.
- Serve it hot with a blob of ghee.
Medium rawa- 1 cup
Ghee -1/2 cup
Elaichi powder /Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
Saffron -a pinch or yellow food colour
- Boil 2 cups of water and keep it ready.
- Roast raisins and cashewnuts in a tsp of ghee until light brown and keep it ready.
- Roast rawa in ghee in a thick kadai.
- Add the boiling water turn over till the rava becomes soft.
- Add sugar and continue turning over for another few minutes.
- Add saffron soaked in milk or yellow colour,elaichi powder and mix it.
- Lastly garnish with roasted nuts and raisins.