Black chana /Bengal gram – 1 cup,cooked
Grated coconut -1 1/2 cups
Long red chillies -8 (roasted in a tsp of oil )
Short red chillies – 6 (roasted in a tsp of oil )
Tamarind – marble sized
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Urad dhal – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Bread fruit – 1 cup
Drumstick – 1,cut it into medium pieces and cooked(optional)
Yam -1/4 cup,cooked(optional)
Tender cashewnuts – 1/4 cup,cooked (optional)
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Soak chana overnight in enough water,next morning wash it well,add water and cook it in cooker for 3-4 whistles and simmer for 30 minutes until it gets cooked.
- Once cooked add salt to taste, breadfruit and cook it until breadfruit gets just cooked.
- Keep it aside.
- Roast the grated coconut until red in colour without burning it.
- Cool it and keep it aside.
- Roast coriander seeds and urad dhal in a tbsp of oil.
- Grind roasted coconut,coriander and urad dhal ,roasted chillies,tamarind together to a medium fine paste.
- Add the masala to the cooked chana, add tender cashewnuts and drumstick.
- Check salt,add masala water adjusting the consistency of the gravy and take a boil.
- Heat oil,splutter mustard seeds,curry leaves and saute for a second.
- Season it to the curry.
- Serve it hot with rice.
- Normally we add Breadfruit,drumstick and tender cashewnuts as a combination.
- You may or may not keep the skin of the breadfruit.
- We add yam only when breadfruit is out of season or not available.