Today is the first day of the Shravan month and is an auspicious month for Hindus. G.S.B ladies perform Puja on Friday and Sunday by making a special type of tiny flower bouquet and offer it to the lord and exchange it with the married ladies. Coming back to the dish I prepared this Appo sometime back for my Saibaba rwath. The preparation is very simple. The recipe was shared by my talented friend Suphala Shenoy. This is a no fail recipe. Stay tuned for more interesting recipes !
Recipe adapted from : Suphala Shenoy
Bombay rawa – 1 cup
Grated coconut -1/2 cup
Beaten rice / poha – 1 cup
Jaggery – as per the taste or 2 lemon sized
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Ghee – to smear the appo
- Wash the poha.
- Grind rawa , poha, jaggery and grated coconut with very little water.
- Grind it to a smooth batter.
- Add salt and soda.
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Beat the batter well .
- Heat the appe pan and smear it with ghee.
- Fill the cavity with the batter .
- Smear little ghee again and close the lid.
- Cook it on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and turn it to the opposite side.
- Cook till done.
- Serve it hot.