Boondi ladoo or mitai undo as in Konkani was in my cooking wish list since a long time. But wasn’t very confident to attempt. But today, after watching few videos from the you tube , I mustered some courage and started the process. I followed all the instructions like an obedient student given by Hethal and Anuja from Show me the curry.com and went on. I had seen many of my fb friends posting this ladoo in several food groups and used to admire them and bookmark their recipes too. And finally, even I succeeded in the making of boondi ladoo . Happy Diwali friends!
Recipe adapted from: show me the curry.com
Chick pea four(besan)-1 cup
Clarified butter-1 tbsp
Oil-for deep frying
Sugar 1 cup
Water -3/4 Th cup
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
Powdered nuts(cashews,almonds)-1/4 cup
- In a large mixing bowl,sieve besan, add ghee and water.
- Mix well until there are no lumps and keep aside.
- In a medium pan add sugar,saffron,3/4 cup water for sugar syrup.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 9-10 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to simmer and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Sugar syrup should be of half thread consistency.
- Turn off the stove and add cardamom powder to the sugar syrup.
- Start heating oil for deep frying boondi’s.
- Once oil is hot,place a small amount of boondi batter onto a boondi maker or a perforated laddle(flat laddle with holes).
- Gently tap the sides or use a spoon to allow the batter droplets to fall into the oil.
- Using a circular motion with the spoon you can help the batter go through the holes.
- Fry boondi until golden,remove them from the oil allowing excess oil to drain off and place them directly into the sugar syrup.
- Using a different spoon ,mix the fried boondi into the sugar syrup,until they get coated.
- Wipe the bottom of the boondi maker clean each time before you continue frying the remaining boondi.
- Once all the boondi are fried and submerged into the sugar syrup,add powdered nuts and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool for few minutes.
- Dip hands in water,shape off excess and using a ¼ cup measure,take the mixture into your palms,shake off excess and press to form a round ball(ladoo).
- Continue to make remaining ladoos.
- Starting from from the first ladoo made gently press the ladoo a second time to make a tighter ball.
- Do this for all the ladoos.
- Allow the ladoos to cool completely and store it in a airtight container.
- Ladoos can be kept in room temperature for 1-2 days and for longer period store them in the refrigerator.
I would suggest use only 3/4 cup of sugar for the syrup, since my folks found the ladoo to be little too sweet.
I did not use the cup to form the ladoos.
Various steps in the making of the superstar BOONDI LADOO
And finally one more view of the dashing Boondi ladoos