Sabudana kichdi is a popular Maharastrian breakfast and is prepared mostly during fasting since it is a concrete breakfast. It is often prepared during Monday fasts in Mumbai. Sabudana or tapioca pearls is made out of raw tapioca roots, an underground potato like variety. I learnt to prepare this dish from my Mayi (mother in law) who resides in Mumbai . And with lot practice this has become my signature dish . I have taught to prepare this dish to my friends too. Check the recipe of sabudana pops and Sabudana Vada too .
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Soak sabudana for 1 to 2 hours until it gets completely soaked, it should be smashed when u press the pearl with your thumb and index finger.
- Drain it in a colander.
- Keep it out for 2 hours until the water drains completely.
- Refrigerate overnight in an airtight container .
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds,add onions and fry until light pinkish in color.
- Add soaked sabudana, groundnut powder, salt and sugar to taste.
- Give it a stir and keep it in a slow flame for 15 – 20 minutes stirring in between.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- You may or may not refrigerate the soaked sabudana.
- I refrigerate the soaked sabudana as it is time consuming in the mornings,but the result is so good after refrigeration that I make it a point to refrigerate every time I prepare now.
- Many of my friends have learnt this recipe from me and have succeeded especially because of the refrigeration process.
- So its up to you ll whether to follow or not,but I suggest to follow.
- I use ready made salted and peeled bombay peanuts and I make it point store it .
- You may also dry roast the raw peanuts and coarsely powder it.
- You may not add onions if you do not prefer.
- You may also add boiled potatoes to the kichdi.