Here’s Wishing everyone Happy Ugadi with this ‘Madgane’ post.Madgane is a dessert prepared with roasted Bengal gram dal.This is the traditional recipe of the GSB’s where most of them prepare this dessert on this auspicious occasion.I have already posted information on how we celebrate our new year that is on Ugadi yesterday,so you’ll might have got an idea on how we celebrate plus the dishes we prepare.I prepared Chana ghashi,Dali thoy,Bibbe upkari(Tender cashewnut upkari),Gointe phodi(Wild gherkins),Ambe upkari(Ripe mango curry) and Madgane for the dessert.
Cardamom powder-1/4 tsp
- Soak tender Cashewnuts in hot water overnight,next morning peel it and separate it into half.
- Take a thick bottomed pan and dry roast the chana dal until you get a nice aroma for 5-6 minutes.
- Wash the chana dal,add 2 cups of water and cook it in the cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- You should not over cook the dal,cook it perfect.
- Cook the tender Cashewnuts separately.(What we do is we add the tender Cashewnuts in the chana dal after 2 whistles,we off the flame,open the cooker after pressure releases,add Cashewnuts only if the chana dal is not cooked and cook it along with that,if chana dal is cooked we cook the Cashewnuts separately)
- Now extract thick and thin coconut milk from the grated coconut.
- Add the rice flour to the thin coconut milk.
- Add jaggery and thin coconut mixture to the cooked chana dal and take a boil,stirring it continuously.
- Lastly add thick coconut milk and take a small boil,add cardamom powder,raisins and boil for 2 minutes and off the flame.
- Relish the Madgane hot.
Refer here on How to extract coconut milk-Here