Lauki means Bottle gourd.This subzi is a combination prepared with the bottle gourd and chana dal(Bengal gram dal).Few days back my in-laws were here and I wanted to prepare something new without onion and garlic since my father in law doesn’t eat both.And that reminded me of Anjana ji’s blog Maayeka which has a very good collection of dishes without onion and garlic.And I had bookmarked this recipe sometime back and prepared it in a jiffy.This is a very healthy dish.
Recipe adapted from Maayeka:Maayeka
Bottle gourd-650 gms
Bengal gram (chana daal)-1/2 cup *
Lemon juice-1 tsp
Fresh green coriander-2 tbsp
Chili flakes-1/4 tsp
Ghee (or oil)-2 tbsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Whole red chili-2
Chopped green chili-1 tsp
- Wash and soak chana daal in 2 cups of water for 1/2 hour.
- Peel and chop bottle gourd into medium sized pieces.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and then add cumin and all the tempering ingredients on low heat.
- When cumin starts crackling and becomes golden,add soaked chana daal,bottle gourd,tomato, chopped ginger, salt ,turmeric and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add 2 cups of water,mix well and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on a medium heat.
- Open and check ,If daal and gourd becomes soft and slightly mashed then add a pinch of sugar,mix and cook for approx 2 minute on slow flame.(if not cooked properly in 3-4 whistles then pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles.)
- Once the pressure releases open the lid, add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
You may also prepare this subzi with Yellow moong dal.