Ennegai is one of my favourite dish.This is prepared with small,baby brinjals either with green or purple.I borrowed this recipe from Santoshi Nayak and she prepares the best ennegai with different versions.This is one of the version I’m posting today.In this recipe coconut is not added.This not exactly a GSB dish,I assume this is a North Karnataka dish.Any person who like brinji will definitely like this.
Baby brinjals-15(I used green variety)
Tamarind pulp-1/4 cup
Jaggary powder-2 tbsp
Oil-2 tbsp + 3tsp approx
Salt- to taste
Ingredients to roasted :
Urad dhal-1 tsp(split black gram)
Chana dhal-1 tsp(split bengal gram)
Coriander seeds-3 tbsp
Long red chilly-12
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida powder-1/4 tsp*(hing)
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned, until brown in colour and powder it coarsely and keep it aside.(Add hing once you off the flame)
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan,fry onions for 4-5 minutes,add powder,tamarind pulp,jaggery powder and salt to taste.
- Wash the brinjals,keep the stalk intact,slit cross at the bottom till it touches the stock,see that the segments are not separated.
- Stuff the masala in the brinjal with the help of a spoon or hand,heat remaining oil,arrange the stuffed brinjal,close the lid and cook until done.
- Sprinkle water only if required.(I did not add).
- Serve it with the maincourse.