I had bookmarked many doughnut recipes earlier but I didn’t have the energy to search it and Aparna’s recipe caught my attention and I finalized for the same.Aparna is my Fb friend and we got connected via our common interest that is cooking.She is one of the creative blogger I have ever seen.Above all, this doughnut is eggless and I love eggless cooking/baking.The original recipe called for fried version,but I took the risk of baking few doughnuts with my Amma’s moral support.And it was successful.
I prepared doughnuts for the first time and I learnt few tips to improvise the same for my next batch.I had bought the doughnut cutter 2 years back and finally, today I got the occasion to prepare it.If you do not have a doughnut cutter,don’t worry,you may use a sharp edged steel glass for the outer disc and a bottle lid for the centre cavity.Feedback for my doughnut was positive.My best critics,my husband Sanjay gave me full marks,Santoshi too said tasted good..Thanks a lot dear readers and all my well wishers for making this happen. 414 posts,600 plus members and 1,29,792 pagevisits,what more do I want?Slow and steady always wins the race…Happy Birthday Geeths Dawath!
Recipe adapted from:Flavors and colors
All purpose flour-1 3/4 cups
Yeast- 2 tsp
Salt- a pinch
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Water- 1/4 cup
- Take a mixing bowl and add water,sugar,salt and yeast.
- Mix it until it dissolves.
- Leave it aside for few minutes to turn frothy.
- Add milk and vanilla essence.
- Add flour little by little and knead it well.
- When the dough is 3/4 th done add the butter and knead it further.
- Close the dough and keep it aside untouched for an hour to rise.
- I kept it for 2-3 hours since I was busy with other work.
- The dough will rise now.
- After the rising time deflate the dough and knead lightly.
- Make a big ball and roll it into 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut it with a doughnut cutter or a lid with a hollow at the centre(refer picture).
- Use the centre cuts again with the dough and mix it and reuse it.
- Line a tray with butter paper dusted well with flour.
- Arrange the doughnuts on it keeping some distance.
- Keep it aside for 30 minutes again.
- It will rise.
- If you want the baked version,preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 150 D C.
- Bake it for 15-20 minutes or until it gets baked and turns light brown in colour.
- Once baked brush it with butter immediately and dip it in cinnamon dust if you are using that as a dipping.
- If you don’t do it immediately the topping wont stand.
- If you are following deep fried version,heat oil and deep fry it until light golden brown.
- Glaze the doughnuts as per your choice.
For the topping:
Unsweetened cocoa powder-4 tbsp
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and mix it well.
- Remove all the lumps and mix it until you get a right consistency.
- Dip the fried/baked doughnuts top part in it and drip the excess and place it on a wire rack.
- Garnish it with sprinkles of your choice.
- Take castor sugar(or normal sugar powder) and add little cinnamon powder in it and mix it.
- Coat the doughnuts top part with the dust.
- Dust the lined tray well with the flour.
- I had dusted little less so it got stuck slightly.
- I prefer baked version over fried version.
- Arrange the doughnuts with proper distance as it will rise again.
- Though I had kept the distance it wasn’t enough.
- So the shapes of my doughnuts were not perfect.
- You may keep the dough and doughnut to rise in a warm place like microwave.
- You may use other glaze like jam,chocolate sauce,marmalade etc.
- If you are good at icing you may do some swirls using your own imagination.
- You may also use the centre cuts of the doughnut,bake/fry it and dip it in chocolate glaze.
- Use a shallow plate while you glaze the doughnuts.