The curry can be prepared with any fish like Mackerels,Sardines,Lady fish,Silver fish,Prawns etc. Mamama used to prepare often with Mackerels.The curry goes well with boiled rice or even with white rice.My Mamama used to prepare this curry with homemade chilly powder which enhanced the taste.The below curry was prepared using Seer fish fillets.
Fish -6 fillets (mackerels,sardines,seer fish etc)
Kashmiri chilly powder -3-4 tsp or to taste
Tamarind- marble sized pulp
Ginger-2 tbsp,chopped finely
Green chilly- 3,slit
Salt- to taste
Oil- 3 tbsp(I used coconut oil)
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions until pinkish in colour.
- Reduce the flame,add chilly powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes,ginger,green chillies and tamarind pulp.
- Add little water,salt to taste and take a boil.
- Cook it in simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cleaned fish,coat it with the masala delicately and cook it for sometime.
- Check salt and add water if required to adjust the consistency.
- Serve it hot with rice.