This is an authentic saru recipe prepared in most of the Konkani household . ‘Kothambhari palle’ or ‘pallo’ means coriander leaves . This saru is very aromatic which goes well with rice . The recipe was shared to me by my Amma . She had adapted the recipe from Jaya V Shenoy’s recipe book and had modified as per the taste of the family .
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Byadgi chillies – 2
Tamarind – marble sized
Coriander leaves – handful
Tomato – 2
Jaggery – marble sized , more or less
Salt – to taste
Cooked tur dal water – 1/2 cup ,diluted ( optional )
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few sprigs
Oil – 1tsp
Coriander leaves – few , to garnish
- Grind coconut , chillies and tamarind to a fine paste with some water .
- Add coriander leaves with the stem and grind further to a fine paste .
- Transfer it in a vessel , dilute it adding water and add dal water .
- Adjust the consistency .
- Add chopped tomatoes , jaggery , salt to taste and take a boil .
- Lower the flame and cook it for sometime .
- Season it with mustard seeds and curry leaves .
- Garnish it with coriander leaves .
- Serve it hot with rice .