Hello dear readers! First of all here’s wishing all my lovely readers a very happy new year! Well , I wanted to post plum cake recipe but due to some unexpected incidents I could not blog for sometime . I will post the same in the coming days . Blogging is my passion and I will share interesting recipes this year too . To start the year with a sweet note I would like to share my first post of a sweet recipe which is called as ‘godi kichdi ‘or ‘sweet kichdi’ . This is a traditional g.s.b recipe and there are few variations of the same . I will share one variation today which is my personal favourite and this is my mamama’s recipe . I had hand written mamama’s recipe more than a decade back and I cross checked the same with my aunt . Stay tuned for interesting recipes !
Recipe credit : Mamama and Laxmi Padiyar
Broken wheat – 1 cup
Chana dal – 2 cup
Sugar – 2-3 cups approx (2 is better)
Coconut – 2 cups approx (use only the white part, tender the coconut better the taste )
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Tender cashewnuts – 1/4 cup , cooked separately (optional)
Roasted dry fruits – handful
- Take a pressure cooker, dry roast broken wheat for few minutes.
- Wash the roasted broken wheat .
- Cook it in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- It cooks very fast.
- Dry roast chana dal separately for 2 minutes .
- Cook it separately until right cooked.
- Mix both the cooked ingredients .
- Cook it for 2 more minutes.
- Add sugar and cook it well .
- Keep stirring in between and keep on high flame to thicken.
- Add grated coconut and cook further until it thickens .
- Add cooked cashewnuts , cardamom powder and dry fruits .
- Serve it hot with a dash of ghee.
My notes :
- Use tender coconut for better taste .
- Add sugar only after the dals are cooked because once sugar is added dal cannot be cooked .
- Adjust sugar according to your taste .
- Mine became slightly sweeter .
- You may serve it with chopped bananas also.
- It is also served with urad dal dosa .