Happy 2017 dear readers ! What better way to start the year with a sweet post. There are so many recipes of fruit cake and I love to try new recipes. A new year is incomplete without bakes. This Christmas / New year I tried the eggless version of fruit cake from Divine taste blog. I love to try Anushruti’s recipes as it is very inviting and always a no fail one. My fruits are still getting soaked in Vodka which I will try some interesting recipe in the coming days. Last year I had baked the fruit cake with the soaked fruits for the first time and it tasted so divine. I have come out of my comfort zone and I have started baking recipes that calls for more eggs and alcohol(occasionally) . Of course I seldom taste eggy bakes as I always love to bake and cook for my dear ones.
Recipe adapted from : Divine taste
Plain flour – 3 1/2 cups
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Hot water – 1 cup + 2 tbsp( 250 ml + 30 ml )
Granulated white sugar – 1 cup + 2 tbsp (250g )
Granulated brown sugar – 1 cup + 2 tbsp ( 250 g)
Oil – 1 cup( 250 ml )
Curds – 1 cup ( 250 ml )
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 3/4 tsp
Nutmeg powder – 3/4 tsp
Dried fruit – 1 1/4 cup ( Tutty fruity, raisins, dates,cranberries,glazed cherries,black currant)
Dried nuts – 3/4 cup ( cashewnuts, almonds, walnuts)
- Lightly grease the baking tins or use disposable liners like I used.
- Preheat the oven at 180 d.c .
- Take a mixing bowl and sieve the dry ingredients like flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl beat together hot water and both the sugar until it melts.
- Add oil,essence,curds and beat further.
- Add in the flour mixture little at a time, cinnamon powder ,nutmeg powder and beat lightly.
- Fold in the dried fruits and nuts.
- Add the batter in the prepared tins.
- Bake it for 15 minutes at 180 d.c .
- Later lower it to 150 d.c and bake for 50 minutes or until done.
My notes :
- You may also bake in a bundt pan.
- Cool the cake completely before you slice the cake.
- Adjust the temperature depending on your oven.
- Grease the liners lightly if you are using.