Hello dear readers! Today I will share garlic flavoured red Amaranth leaves curry . This is a traditional g.s.b dish . We may also season this dish with mustard seeds and curry leaves.. I have so many pictures lying in the folders that I need to dig a lot. Yesterday I found the pictures of this curry and I thought of sharing it. We find organic red Amaranth leaves in Mangalore easily. I prefer to buy from the local vendors or from push cart vendors who sell fresh greens. I really love the tender coriander leaves(naati) which they sell in push carts. Coming back to the recipe the measurement below is my eye ball measurement. Recipe was shared by Amma. Amma says that the curry must be kept mild , must not make spicy.
Red Amaranth leaves – 1 bunch
Garlic – 8,smashed
Jaggery – 1 pinch
Coconut oil – 1tbsp
Salt – to taste
Ingredients for the masala:
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Red chillies – 2, short ones, roasted
Long red chillies – 2, roasted
Tamarind – marble sized
- Chop off the roots of Amaranth plant and over ripened thick stalks.
- Once done, wash it well , say about 5 to 6 times and until the water comes out clean.
- Transfer it in a colander.
- After 5 minutes, chop the Amaranth leaves.
- Look for wormy leaves and discard if any.
- Once done, add 1 cup of water, salt to taste and cook it in a vessel.
- Grind the ingredients to a fine paste mentioned under the masala list.
- Add the ground masala to the cooked Amaranth leaves.
- Adjust the consistency.
- Check for salt and add jaggery if required.
- Take a boil.
- Heat oil in a seasoning pan, add garlic and saute until red in colour.
- Season it to the curry.
- You may also flavour it with mustard seeds and curry leaves .
- The pictures in this post is seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves.