Hello dear readers ! Today I’m going to share the recipe of Kooka upkari in g.s.b style. Kooka means Chinese potato. We use it in Ghashi’s,Koddel’s and prepare many other dishes.This is a simple dish and is prepared like any other upkari. Main work is cleaning the Kooka. It takes a whole lot of time. But there are techniques to clean it. Earlier we used to use gunny bags, fill it with Kooka, smash it and remove the skin either by rubbing with gunny bag or with a knife. And the fingers used to turn messy and brownish in colour… Stay tuned for interesting recipes.
Kooka / Chinese potato – 1/2 k.g
Coconut oil – 2 tsp or more
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Long red chillies – 4, chopped
Salt – to taste
- Soak Kooka in enough water overnight.
- Next morning just rub it against each and clean it until the skin comes off.
- If not clean it with a knife or a napkin.
- Then slice it thinly.
- Take a pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chillies and roast it.
- Add Kooka and salt to taste.
- Add 1 cup of water, close it with a lid.
- Cook it until done.
- If it turns dry before it gets cooked add water and if water is more even after is cooked, higher the flame and reduce it until it turns dry.
- You may also garnish it with grated coconut.
- You may also cook it in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle.