Hello dear readers! Some weeks back I had come across the recipe of Tandoori Momos in a you tube channel cookingshooking.com . I had put it in my to do bucket list. Surprisingly my daughter Sanjana also came across it accidentally and requested me to prepare it as she is a big Momos fan. Without any delay I prepared it the next day . It came out just wow and perfect. The procedure is lengthy so try it when you really have ample time or you have a help.
Cookingshooking.com is a very good you tube channel and I’ve been following from quite sometime now. I have tried few recipes from the channel and the recipes are full proof. The chef is a young boy named Yaman Aggarwal who started the channel when he was as young as 16 .
Recipe credit : cookingshooking.com
Ingredients for the stuffing:
Cabbage(grated) – 2cups
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Garlic paste or grated ginger – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste or 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp or to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Ingredients for the covering:
Maida – 2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – as much needed to make a stiff dough
Ingredients for the tandoori masala:
Besan – 4 tbsp
Salt – 1tsp
Chaat masala – 1tsp
Kasoori methi – 1tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1tsp
Black salt – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Lime juice – 1tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1tsp
Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp, hot oil
Red food colour – 1/8 tsp(optional)
Curds – 4tbsp or more
Oil – to deep fry
Charcoal piece -1 (optional)
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Oil or ghee – to cook tandoori momos
Method for the stuffing:
- Take a mixing box and add chopped onions and grated cabbage.
- Take a clean kitchen towel or napkin, add onion and cabbage.
- Squeeze out the water completely.
- Transfer it in a bowl, add salt to taste, pepper powder, oil,ginger or garlic.
- Mix it well.
- Keep it aside.
Method for the covering:
- Add maida in another mixing bowl.
- Add salt to taste, keep adding water and make a stiff dough.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
Method for the tandoori paste:
- Roast the besan for 2 minutes.
- Mix roasted besan and all other ingredients mentioned in the list in a bowl.
- Make a paste and keep it aside.
Method to make Momos:
- Pinch small balls from the dough and make around 20 balls.
- Roll out thin puris.
- Place stuffing in the centre.
- Gather the ends and make momos.
- Heat oil and deep fry until golden brown.
Method to make Tandoori Momos:
- Add the fried Momos in the Tandoori paste.
- Marinate it.
- Place the piece of burning coal on a plate and add ghee over it.
- Close it with a lid and keep it aside for 5 minutes to get a smoky flavour.
- Heat a tawa and add 1 tsp of oil or ghee.
- Add fried momos 3 to 4 at a time.
- Handle the marinated momos delicately.
- Roast it well.
- To give a tandoori touch, roast it directly over the flame without touching the burner with the help of a pincer.
- You may also pass it in a skewer and roast it.
- Serve it hot topped with chaat masala and onions.
- Squeeze lime for extra punch.